Team MTN-Qhubeka’s Reinardt Janse van Rensburg was the first South African rider to cross the finish line in eighth position in the 190.5km seventh stage of the 2015 Tour de France, which took place from Livarot to Fougeres today.
It was a successful day for the African team who also managed to win the best team category title for the seventh stage.
Janse van Rensburg was the second MTN-Qhubeka rider to sprint to a top 10 spot today, with team mate Tyler Farrar finishing just ahead in seventh place and Eritrean rider Daniel Teklehaimanot holding onto the polka dot King of the Mountains jersey after the stage.
Team Etixx-Quick-Step Mark Cavendish claimed his first Tour de France stage win in nearly two years today, with Team Sky’s Chris Froome taking the the yellow jersey in the overall classification after Cavendish’s team mate Tony Martin pulled out of the race after breaking his collar bone yesterday.
Top 10 stage seven results:
1. Mark Cavendish (GBr) Etixx-Quick-Step 4:27:25
2. Andre Greipel (Ger) Lotto-Soudal +00
3. Peter Sagan (Svk) Tinkoff-Saxo +00
4. John Degenkolb (Ger) Team Giant-Alpecin +00
5. Alexander Kristoff (Nor) Team Katusha +00
6. Arnaud Demare (Fra) FDJ +00
7. Tyler Farrar (USA) Team MTN-Qhubeka +00
8. Reinardt Janse Van Rensburg (RSA) Team MTN-Qhubeka +00
9. Davide Cimolai (Ita) Lampre-Merida +00
10. Sam Bennett (Ire) Bora-Argon +00
Top 10 overall results after stage seven:
1. Christopher Froome (GBr) Team Sky 26:40:51
2. Peter Sagan (Svk) Tinkoff-Saxo +11
3. Tejay van Garderen (USA) BMC Racing Team +13
4. Tony Gallopin (Fra) Lotto-Soudal +26
5. Greg Van Avermaet (Bel) BMC Racing Team +28
6. Rigoberto Uran (Col) Etixx-Quick Step +34
7. Alberto Contador (Spa) Tinkoff-Saxo +36
8. Zdenek Stybar (Cze) Etixx-Quick-Step +52
9. Geraint Thomas (GBr) Team Sky +01:03
10. Warren Barguil (Fra) Team Giant-Alpecin +01:07
31. Edvald Boasson Hagen (Nor) Team MTN-Qhubeka +07:27
58. Reinardt Janse Van Rensburg (RSA) Team MTN-Qhubeka +14:08
87. Tyler Farrar (USA) Team MTN-Qhubeka +20:56
Follow Team MTN-Qhubeka’s progress at the 2015 Tour de France.