Anna van der Breggen won the women’s Tour of Flanders in Belgium today.
Van der Breggen, who also won the Strade Bianche a month ago, completed the race in 4:08:42, beating Amy Pieters and Annemiek van Vleuten into second and third respectively.
Van der Breggen, with 28km to go, opened a gap between the Kruisberg and Hotond climbs when she pulled off a surprise attack.
She surged over the Oude Kwaremont with a one-minute lead over Jolien D’Hoore and Coryn Rivera.
Van der Breggen got help with a tailwind, which eventually extended her lead to one-and-a-half minutes. South African Asleigh Moolman-Pasio was at that point part of a quartet-chasing bunch, alongside Van Vleuten, Katarzyna Niewiadoma and Pieters.
The chasing group grew with two kilometres to go, as Van der Breggen held on to her lead. Van der Breggen prevailed, as she soloed to victory.
Pieters won the sprint for second place just over a minute later, with Van Vleuten rounding out the podium. Moolman-Pasio followed in fourth.
View more results below.
1. Anna van der Breggen (Ned) Boels Dolmans Cyclingteam 4:08:42
2. Amy Pieters (Ned) Boels Dolmans Cyclingteam 0:01:07
3. Annemiek van Vleuten (Ned) Mitchelton Scott Women
4. Ashleigh Moolman-Pasio (RSA) Cervelo-Bigla Pro Cycling Team
5. Chantal Blaak (Ned) Boels Dolmans Cyclingteam
6. Malgorzata Jasinska (Pol) Movistar Team Women
7. Ellen van Dijk (Ned) Team Sunweb Women
8. Lisa Brennauer (Ger) Wiggle High5
9. Katarzyna Niewiadoma (Pol) Canyon-SRAM Racing
10. Megan Guarnier (USA) Boels Dolmans Cyclingteam