Colombian Alvaro Hodeg won the Munsterland Giro in Munsterland, Germany, yesterday.
The Deceuninck-Quick-Step rider completed the 193.3km race in 4:26:38, beating Pascal Ackermann (Bora-Hansgrohe) and Tim Merlier (Pauwels Sauzen-Bingoal) into second and third respectively.
Fourth place went to Fernando Gaviria (UAE Team Emirates), with Maximilian Walscheid (Team Sunweb) completing the top five.
“We knew the race would be hard on the climbs, because many teams didn’t have a sprinter here and wanted to break the peloton, but the boys protected me throughout the day,” said Hodeg.
“It was very cold, and this made it even more difficult, but I didn’t mind racing in the rain, as I like it.”
He added that going into the final he remained focused and asked teammates Florian Senechal and Jannik Steimle to make sure they would be in the top-10 positions.
“They did a superb job. I was confident and just did my sprint, and I’m glad I could repay the team for their hard work.
“It’s always special to win a race and I’m happy I could deliver another one for the Wolfpack as the season nears its conclusion.”
View more results below.
1. Alvaro Hodeg (Col) Deceuninck-Quick-Step 4:26:38
2. Pascal Ackermann (Ger) Bora-Hansgrohe
3. Tim Merlier (Bel) Pauwels Sauzen-Bingoal
4. Fernando Gaviria (Col) UAE Team Emirates
5. Maximilian Walscheid (Ger) Team Sunweb
6. Mike Teunissen (Ned) Team Jumbo-Visma
7. Christophe Noppe (Bel) Sport Vlaanderen-Baloise
8. Piet Allegaert (Bel) Sport Vlaanderen-Baloise
9. Roy Jans (Bel) Corendon-Circus
10. Niccolò Bonifazio (Ita) Total Direct Energie
26. Reinardt Janse Van Rensburg (RSA) Dimension Data +0:00:09
71. Jay Thomson (RSA) Dimension Data +0:01:19