Bora-Hansgrohe’s Jay McCarthy won the 164km Cadel Evans Great Ocean Road Race in Geelong, Australia, today.
The Australian won the final 24-man bunch sprint to beat Quick-Step Floors’ Elia Viviani (Italy) and Micthelton-Scott’s Daryl Impey (South Africa).
Impey, who won the overall Tour Down Under last week, was satisfied with the result and with his “great start to the season,” he said.
“The boys [Mitchelton-Scott] rode really well today. They showed good control and they did a fantastic job in the final stretch.
“We put quite a bit of pressure on the other riders; we got caught near the end, but I timed it pretty well. My teammates gave me good opportunities to capitalise.
“I’m really happy with the start of the year, and hopefully I can grow more from here,” he added.
View more results below.
1. Jay McCarthy (Bora-Hansgrohe, Australia) 4:04:00
2. Elia Viviani (Quick-Step Floors, Italy)
3. Daryl Impey (Mitchelton-Scott, South Africa)
4. Dries Devenyns (Quick-Step Floors, Belgium)
5. Simon Gerrans (BMC Racing, Australia)
6. Nikias Arndt (Team Sunweb, Germany)
7. Steele von Hoff (Kordamentha Real Estate, Australia)
8. Maurits Lammertink (Team Katusha Alpecin, Netherlands)
9. Enrico Battaglin (Team Lotto NI Jumbo, Italy)
10. Lars Bak Ytting (Lotto Soudal, Denmark)
11. Robert Gesink (Team Lotto NI Jumbo, Netherlands)
12. Owain Doull (Team Sky, Great Britain)
13. Pierre Latour (AG2R La Mondiale, France)
14. Koen de Kort (Trek-Segafredo, Netherlands)
15. Maarten Wynants (Team Lotto NI Jumbo, Belgium)