Stage two of the Tour de Taiwan was won by Robbie Hucker when the 119.95km route finished in Taoyuan City.
Hyeongmin Choe followed him home, while Jonathan Clarke finished in third.
Felix Baron crossed the line in fourth place, with Chris Harper in fifth.
Eddie van Heerden was the first South African to finish when he claimed the 27th spot. He is also the first one from his team on the general classification list.
Hucker leads the tour overall, with Choe and Clarke completing the podium. Fourth place overall goes to Lennert Teugels, whole Connor Brown is in fifth.
“It was a very fast stage – the first hour was crazy,” said Team SA’s Aidan van Niekerk.
“Byron [Munton] tried really hard to get in the break, but the riders didn’t let anything go. We later regrouped and managed to get some feeding done.
“A move occured about 50km from the finish. There was a very hard chase by some of the professional continental teams to bring it back. It looked like we would catch them soon as the gap was just one minute with 25km to go.”
Van Niekerk said at one point the peloton took a wrong turn and all of a sudden there was a big gap in the break.
“After the second last climb the race was neutralised to leave the break with a one minute gap in the remaining 10km. We descended and started the final climb. Eddie and Calvin [Beneke] looked very solid and Eddie could follow the main guys attacking from the peloton.
“Unfortunately the confusion in the race meant the break could stay away and the main guys (including Eddie) didn’t contest the stage.”
View the results below.
Stage two results
1. Robbie Hucker (AUS) 2:53:46
2. Hyeongmin Choe (KOR) 2:53:46
3. Jonathan Clarke (AUS) 2:53:46
4. Felix Baron (COL) 2:53:46
5. Chris Harper (AUS) 2:53:46
6. Lennert Teugels (BEL) 2:53:46
7. Yukiya Arashiro (JPN) 2:53:46
8. Connor Brown (USA) 2:53:46
9. Jimmy Janssens (BEL) 2:53:46
10. Luis Lemus (MEX) 2:53:46
27. Eddie van Heerden (RSA) 2:54:17
59. Calvin Beneke (RSA) 2:55:09
64. Mornay van Heerden (RSA) 2:56:04
66. Aidan van Niekerk (RSA) 2:56:04
86. Jason Oosthuizen (RSA) 2:58:30
109. Byron Munton (RSA) 3:03:52
Stage two general classification
1. Robbie Hucker (AUS) 4:42:31
2. Hyeongmin Choe (KOR) 4:42:35
3. Jonathan Clarke (AUS) 4:42:37
4. Lennert Teugels (BEL) 4:42:40
5. Connor Brown (USA) 4:42:41
6. Yukiya Arashiro (JPN) 4:42:41
7. Felix Baron (COL) 4:42:41
8. Jimmy Janssens (BEL) 4:42:41
9. Chris Harper (AUS) 4:42:41
10. Luis Lemus (MEX) 4:42:41
36. Eddie van Heerden (RSA) 4:43:12
58. Calvin Beneke (RSA) 4:44:04
64. Aidan van Niekerk (RSA) 4:44:59
65. Mornay van Heerden (RSA) 4:44:59
86. Jason Oosthuizen (RSA) 4:47:25
109. Byron Munton (RSA) 4:52:47