Denmark’s Michael Valgren took the honours in the first Ardennes classic of the year when he won the Amstel Gold Race in Valkenburg, Netherlands, today.
The Astana rider escaped late in the race from a group of eight, which included pre-race favourites such as the world champion Peter Sagan and Alejandro Valverde.
Valgren made his move just over two kilometres from the finish of the 263km race, but was joined by Roman Kreuziger, leaving it two to battle it out for the victory.
Mitchelton-Scott’s Kreuziger finished second, followed by Bahrain-MeridaEnrico Gasparotto of Italy.
Provisional results were as follows.
1. Michael Valgren (Denmark, Astana Pro)
2. Roman Kreuziger (Czech Republic, Mitchelton-Scott)
3. Enrico Gasparotto (Italy, Bahrain-Merida)
4. Peter Sagan (Slovakia, Bora-Hansgrohe)
5. Alejandro Valverde (Spain, Movistar)
6. Tim Wellens (Belgium, Lotto Soudal)
7. Julian Alaphilippe (France, Quick-Step Floors)
8. Jakob Fuglsang (Denmark, Astana Pro)
9. Lawson Craddock (America, EF Education First-Drapac p/b Cannondale)
10. Jelle Vanendert (Belgium, Lotto Soudal)