Lotto-Soudal’s Tim Wellens won the 205.3km De Brabantse Pijl, which took place between Leuven and Overijse in Belgium today.
The Belgian completed the race in 4:42:48, beating Bahrain Merida Pro Cycling Sonny Colbrelli and his teammate Tiesj Benoot into second and third respectively.
“It was for Michael. I didn’t want to celebrate, because everyone is thinking about him. I didn’t know him personally, but it’s very bad what happened.
“There are four chances [in the Ardennes] and today was the first of the four, so I’m happy to win here,” he said after the race. “It’s not the same level as the others, but it’s a race in Belgium.
“It’s very important for our team, and it’s never easy to win, so I’m very happy.”
South Africa’s Daryl Impey, riding for Mitchelton-Scott, finished 10th.
View more results below.
1. Tim Wellens (Bel) Lotto Soudal 4:42:48
2. Sonny Colbrelli (Ita) Bahrain-Merida +0:09
3. Tiesj Benoot (Bel) Lotto Soudal
4. Pieter Serry (Bel) Quick-Step Floors
5. Jan Tratnik (Slo) CCC Sprandi Polkowice
6. Andrea Pasqualon (Ita) Wanty-Groupe Gobert
7. Dylan Teuns (Bel) BMC Racing Team
8. Huub Duijn (Ned) Veranda’s Willems Crelan +0:12
9. Thomas Sprengers (Bel) Sport Vlaanderen-Baloise +0:14
10. Daryl Impey (RSA) Mitchelton-Scott