ProTouch’s Gustav Basson won the 96.4km first stage of the inaugural Tour de Limpopo, which finished in Tzaneen today.
Basson completed the race in 2:12:51, beating BCX’s Clint Hendricks into second place. AC/DC Dynamics-Luso’s Calvin Beneke rounded out the podium.
Basson came out on top in a five-man sprint finish, beating Hendricks, Beneke, teammate Jayde Julius and Office Gurus’ Alex Worsdale. The five created a sizeable lead over the bunch with less than 10km left, before Basson took the spoils on the line.
Julius joined the mix late in the race and finished fourth, as Pritzen – who was originally in the front – was reeled back in the closing stages of the race.
View more results below.
1. Gustav Basson (ProTouch) 2:11:31
2. Clint Hendricks (BCX) 2:11:31
3. Calvin Beneke (AC/DC Dynamics-Luso) 2:11:31
4. Jayde Julius (ProTouch) 2:11:31
5. Alexander Worsdale (Office Gurus) 2:11:31
6. Luthando Kaka (Randwater-Transnet) 2:11:31
7. Siyabonga Somciza (Sampada) 2:11:31
8. Temesgen Buru (WCC Africa Mixed) 2:11:31
9. Marc Pritzen (BCX) 2:11:31
10. Mehdi Tigrine (Java Partizan Pro) 2:11:31
1. Clint Hendricks (BCX) 2:11:16
2. Gustav Basson (ProTouch) 2:11:21
3. James Fourie (ProTouch) 2:11:21
4. Temesgen Buru (WCC Africa Mixed) 2:11:26
5. Ryan Harris (Office Gurus) 2:11:26
6. Calvin Beneke (AC/DC Dynamics-Luso) 2:11:31
7. Jayde Julius (ProTouch) 2:11:31
8. Alexander Worsdale (Office Gurus) 2:11:31
9. Luthando Kaka (Randwater-Transnet) 2:11:31
10. Siyabonga Somciza (Sampada) 2:11:31