Bahrain-Merida’s Ivan Garcia Cortina won the bunch sprint to the line on stage five of the Tour of California, taking his first professional victory in Ventura yesterday.
Maximiliano Richeze (Deceuninck-Quick-Step) placed second, with Sergio Higuita (EF Education First) third.
“I’m glad my team had full confidence in me. They pulled for the last 50km, and I was thinking that I could win today,” said García Cortina.
Tejay van Garderen (EF Education First) held on to the yellow, while Kasper Asgreen (Deceuninck-Quick-Step), who took the green jersey from Peter Sagan (Bora-Hansgrohe), placed second overall. Gianni Moscon (Team Ineos) completed the podium.
The penultimate stage consists of a 127.5km route from Ontario to Mt. Baldy.
View more results below.
1. Ivan Garcia Cortina (Bahrain-Merida) 4:56:11
2. Maximiliano Richeze (Deceuninck-QuickStep)
3. Sergio Andres Higuita (EF Education First)
4. Joris Nieuwenhuis (Team Sunweb)
5. Kasper Asgreen (Deceuninck-QuickStep)
6. Maximilian Schachmann (Bora-Hansgrohe)
7. Pawel Bernas (CCC Team)
8. Nacer Bouhanni (Cofidis, Solutions Credits)
9. Tadej Pogacar (UAE Team Emirates)
10. Hugo Houle (Astana Pro Team)
11. Reinardt Janse Van Rensburg (Dimension Data)
63. Jay Thomson (Dimension Data) +0:02:52
1. Tejay Van Garderen (EF Education First) +26:13:01
2. Kasper Asgreen (Deceuninck-QuickStep) +0:00:04
3. Gianni Moscon (Team Ineos) +0:00:06
4. Tadej Pogacar (UAE Team Emirates) +0:00:16
5. Maximilian Schachmann (Bora-Hansgrohe) +0:00:22
6. Sergio Andres Higuita (EF Education First) +0:00:28
7. Jonas Gregaard Wilsly (Astana Pro Team) +0:00:33
8. George Bennett (Team Jumbo-Visma) +0:00:34
9. Felix Großschartner (Bora-Hansgrohe) +0:00:35
10. Rigoberto Uran (EF Education First) +0:00:36
71. Reinardt Janse Van Rensburg (Dimension Data) +0:33:35
99. Jay Thomson (Dimension Data) +0:45:22