Luka Mezgec (Mitchelton-Scott) won stage two of the Tour de Pologne in Katowice today.
Danny van Poppel (Team Jumbo-Visma) and Marc Sarreau (Groupama-FDJ) finished fourth and fifth respectively.
“It feels good. I’ve been trying for a while to win again in a WorldTour race, I haven’t had many chances with all the sprinters we have in the team,” said Mezgec.
“But in Poland, many times I was second, third, fourth, top-five and this time it came all together. Everything came together, I was totally on the left then I started sprinting moving towards the right and then I saw Gaviria, he actually gave me a bit of a slingshot.”
Ackermann retained the overall lead, with Gaviria second and Mezgec third.
“You cannot win every day. We knew already from last year that this stage is the fastest you are going to do in the year,” said Ackermann.
“I’m still happy with the result, because I defended both the leader’s and the points classification. Tomorrow is another day and therefore another chance to defend the jersey.”
View more results below.
Stage two results
1. Luka Mezgec (Slo) Mitchelton-Scott 3:32:42
2. Fernando Gaviria (Col) UAE Team Emirates
3. Pascal Ackermann (Ger) Bora-Hansgrohe
4. Danny van Poppel (Ned) Team Jumbo-Visma
5. Marc Sarreau (Fra) Groupama-FDJ
6. Maximilian Walscheid (Ger) Team Sunweb
7. Sacha Modolo (Ita) EF Education First
8. Clement Venturini (Fra) AG2R La Mondiale
9. Matej Mohoric (Slo) Bahrain-Merida
10. Enzo Wouters (Bel) Lotto Soudal
115. Stefan De Bod (RSA) Dimension Data
134. Jaco Venter (RSA) Dimension Data +0:01:14
1. Pascal Ackermann (Ger) Bora-Hansgrohe 6:30:26
2. Fernando Gaviria (Col) UAE Team Emirates +0:00:02
3. Luka Mezgec (Slo) Mitchelton-Scott +0:00:04
4. Fabio Jakobsen (Ned) Deceuninck-QuickStep +0:00:10
5. Ben Swift (GBr) Team Ineos +0:00:12
6. Matej Mohoric (Slo) Bahrain-Merida +0:00:13
7. Quentin Jauregui (Ned) AG2r La Mondiale
8. Danny van Poppel (Ned) Team Jumbo-Visma +0:00:14
9. Maximilian Walscheid (Ger) Team Sunweb
10. Sacha Modolo (Ita) EF Education First
112. Stefan De Bod (RSA) Dimension Data +0:00:14
147. Jaco Venter (RSA) Dimension Data +0:04:19