In episode 18 of the In the Bunch show we talk to South African sports scientist Ross Tucker about his views on the controversial closing of Chris Froome‘s salbutamol case on the eve of the Tour de France.
We also interview South Africa’s Jay Thomson about making his debut at the Tour after being notified of his inclusion a week before the grand depart.
Ashleigh Moolman-Pasio made history by becoming the first African to podium in a Grand Tour at the Giro Rosa and we were there to get her thoughts on the achievement.
We discuss young Rickardo Broxham‘s victory at the Junior Tour of Ireland and Paralympian Goldy Fuchs’ self-funding trip to Europe en route to the world championships in Italy.
New Cycling South Africa president Yster Xatasi tells us about his transformation plans for the federation and we report on the UCI’s official go-ahead to use disc brakes on road bikes from July 1 this year.
After that, we travel to the Knysna Cycle Tour and the national marathon mountain bike champs before heading to the Lowveld for the Jock Classic.
We review the Westfalia bike rack system before looking at the shocking wire booby trap erected on a Cape Town mountain biking trail.
And, as the world’s fastest cycling show comes down to the proverbial wire, we report on the “burning” bush Wimpie Sanders saw en route to setting a new record in the 1000 Miler.
Episode 18 includes:
• UCI close Chris Froome‘s salbutamol case;
• Jay Thomson‘s debut at the Tour de France;
• Ashleigh Moolman-Pasio‘s podium at the Giro Rosa;
• Rickardo Broxham wins Junior Tour of Ireland;
• Paralympian Goldy Fuchs’ self-funded trip to the worlds;
• Cycling SA president Yster Xatasi’s transformation plans;
• UCI give go-ahead to use disc brakes on road bikes;
• Chris Jooste and Anriette Schoeman win road races at Knysna Cycle Tour;
• Gert Heyns and Robyn de Groot win mountain bike titles at Knysna Cycle Tour;
• Gert Heyns and Robyn de Groot crowned national marathon mountain bike champions;
• David Maree and Carla Oberholzer triumph at Jock Classic;
• Westfalia BC 75 bike rack review;
• Wire booby trap on a Cape Town trail;
• “Burning” bush and new record at 1000 Miler;
• Former pro Kevin Evans beats addiction.
Credits: ASO/Alex Broadway, Tiz-cycling.racing, Stiehl Photography, Gavin Kilpatrick, Velofocus, ASO/JA Delevaux, Stephen McMahon, Brett Florens/Mijn team foto, Team dormakaba SA, Des Scholtz, Vissie/@vissie001, Trailseeker/Advendurance, Memories 4 U Photography, Full Stop Communications, Table Mountain Bikers, Charmaine Sanders, Craig Kolesky, Kevin Evans, ASO/Pauline Ballet